Lemon oil is fresh, light, cool and dry.
In traditional chinese medicine lemon is known for its ability to clear heat, dampness and phlegm from out of balance earth element of spleen and stomach. An imbalance of earth element is related to worry, overthinking and general mental tension
Peppermint is fresh, cooling and sweet with a unique ability clear tension very quickly.
1. Headaches - Peppermint can be applied to the temples (steer clear of eyes), back of neck and inhaled to cool and clear head tension. You can apply some oil to a tissue and inhale its aroma throughout the day
2. Nausea - Peppermint is my number one for nausea especially nausea with cold and flu as the heat in the body can be cooled off a bit, I apply to the stomach area when feeling a bit off, it helps to soothe the area. I also add a drop to peppermint tea or water. Peppermint oil has been used for a long time in digestive health supplements.
3. Blocked nose - Take a big inhale of peppermint oil when you have difficulty breathing through your nose. Simply rub a drop between your palms and cup your hands near your nose and inhale feeling the head, nose and sinuses open up and allow air through
4. Smells - Peppermint is a great addition to your oral hygiene routine. Add a drop of peppermint oil in water and swirl in your mouth and gargle especially after flossing. You can coat your floss with a little peppermint oil to get the benefits in-between teeth, decreasing bacteria which cause bad breath. If I need a freshen up during the day I will drop some peppermint oil on the back of my hand and lick it off.
5. Mental focus - Peppermint has an amazing ability to clear your head and get you focused on the task at hand, its is popular for studying and when focus is required. Try it out if you want to get in the flow with a project or task you've been putting off and see how it helps. I love to have peppermint going in the diffuser of an afternoon to keep me alert and when I feel like having a nap!
6. Food addictions - I've got a sweet tooth and my instinct is to hunt for sugar many times a day! To settle the cravings its a great idea to have a little bottle of peppermint oil in your bag to inhale or add to water and drink when you're dreaming of muffins. Peppermint has a sweet quality without the sugar so it sort of tricks you into feeling satisfied like eating a big slab of banana bread! Also when your mouth is minty fresh you're less likely to want to eat.
7. Sore muscles and joints - Rubbing peppermint oil onto sore areas of the body has a beautiful cooling effect and can reduce pain. I like applying oils to my sore bits lovingly because it also sending the message that you are nurtured and loved.